[Speex-dev] speex denoiser adaptation time

Mon Feb 21 02:19:19 PST 2005

Hi Tom,

Of course the current tuning of the denoise is approximative and could
probably be improved... That being said, the modulo 100 isn't the
adaptation time itself, but rather the window over which to look for
minima. The main idea is this: if the power in a certain bin isn't too
much higher than the minimal value for a certain window, then we can
adapt the noise estimate. The algorithm name is "Minima Controlled
Recursive Average" (MCRA) and it's from Cohen.

As for the arbitrary 3 frames before resuming adaptation, it's simply a
a matter of being on the safe side. It doesn't cost much to not adapt
when we're not sure, but a mistake is costly. In general, I would say
that the VAD-based adaptation is almost useless now with the MCRA.

	Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Université de Sherbrooke