[Speex-dev] Question on VAD/DTX

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Aug 22 16:50:25 PDT 2005

Hello!

I'm working on adding VAD (silence suppression) to my branch of VOCAL.

I've read through the Speex docs and see mentions of VAD/DTX, but I
am not sure quite how to use it.

For instance, on the transmitter side..do I need to detect the silence
somehow and bypass speex encoding, or can speex tell me that the packet
is all silent and should not be transmitted as part of it's encoding?

On the receiver side, is there a way to tell speex that I have a 'blank'
packet that needs decoding..ie silence fill?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>