[Speex-dev] Fixed-point library version

Vladimir Vysotsky trivee at noir.crocodile.org
Mon Sep 13 16:50:46 PDT 2004

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> Speex has been converted to fixed-point so that the few floating point
> operations that remain don't make a difference in the computation time.
> So far, it has only been tested on ARM, but it works well. The current
> fixed-point code also makes little assumptions about the CPU/DSP: no
> saturation instructions are required and only a 16x16 multiplier and 32-
> bit accumulator is assumed.

I had a related question. I'm working with a VLIW/SIMD DSP
(http://equator.com/productsservices/pdf/BSP-15.pdf), and for some time
have been considering a port of Speex (as an alternative to our current
64 kbps wideband audio codec). What could you say about portability of
Speex to such an architecture (several execution units, a lot of wide
registers, many SIMD instructions)?

Vlad