[Speex-dev] Streaming API?

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Tue Oct 12 06:01:57 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 06:38:03PM -0700, Kevin Bruner wrote:
> I'm new to Speex and was wondering if there is a nice streaming API similar to
> Vorbis' "ov_open_callbacks", "ov_read", "ov_time_tell", etc?
>
> If not, is there an easy way to get Speex streaming from files?

Hi Kevin,

libspeex deals with the raw speex codec data; speex files contain this
data inside of Ogg packets. You can use liboggz to handle such files
with the kind of API you're after:

  http://www.annodex.net/software/liboggz/html/oggz__io_8h.html

and can do seeks and tells to time offsets in Speex (and Vorbis, Theora
etc.)

  http://www.annodex.net/software/libfishsound/html/group__decode.html

It also works really well in combination with libfishsound; a full
Ogg Speex and Ogg Vorbis decoder is around 100 lines of code:

  http://www.annodex.net/software/libfishsound/html/group__decode.html

have fun :) let me know if you run into any problems, or need more
example code ...

Conrad.