[Speex-dev] jitter buffer

Jamey Hicks jamey.hicks at hp.com
Fri Nov 19 05:32:25 PST 2004

Danny Chan wrote:

>Hi Farhan,
>
>It is interesting that GPRS is 9.6 kps, as per GPRS standard it should
>be 115kps ? if it is 9.6kps is true then I would use speex codec on GPRS
>for my project, since in some country they charge GPRS on flat rate
>rather than expensive airtime.

GPRS can be configured in multiples of 9.6Kbps at the discretion of the
network provider.  For example, T-Mobile in the US provides 4 timeslots
downstream and 1 slot upstream.  So voice on this would have to fit into
9.6Kbps to fit in the upstream channel.

Another big problem with GPRS wrtp VOIP is that its latency is really
high.  I measured average 1 second for a 1 way trip across the GPRS
network here.  I believe this is caused by the block error correction
scheme that they use on the data channel -- quite a few bits are encoded
together leading to high latency.  The phone companies just didn't
understand that there are higher layer protocols for handling data
integrity.

Jamey