[Speex-dev] speex for windows mobile 2003

Jean-Marc Valin Jean-Marc.Valin
Wed Jun 30 09:25:42 PDT 2004

Le mar 29/06/2004 ? 02:55, doNz a ?crit :
> good day. i am an undergraduate student of electronics and
> communications engineering and i would like to use SPEEX for my
> thesis, which is to create a software that will record speech in
> speex-compatible format for windows mobile 2003.(pocketpc devices) my
> pocket pc has an inherent sound recorder but i am going to make a
> sound recorder software specifically for speech files so that
> recordings will take up less memory. i wanted to ask whether the mic
> would need certain specs (since i am planning to just use the internal

Well, "being able to record sounds" sounds like a useful spec ;)
Otherwise, it depends on the quality you want. Test it and you'll see.

> mic of the device). also, is it possible to record the speech in speex
> format and save it as .wav instead of .spx so it will still be
> playable by the wav player of the device? would you recommend this?

You can't have your cake and eat it. How do you expect to encode a file
with Speex and play it without a Speex decoder? It *is* possible to put
a Speex file in a .wav "container", but you'd still need a Speex ACM
codec to decode it (and I don't recommend that).

Jean-Marc Valin
http://www.xiph.org/~jm/
LABORIUS
Universit? de Sherbrooke, Qu?bec, Canada