[Speex-dev] VAD algorithm ?

Jean-Marc Valin Jean-Marc.Valin
Mon Jun 14 21:19:59 PDT 2004

Hi,

Please next time, try posting only once ;)

> I am working with speex codec, especially its VAD part. I need to know what
> algorithm it is using for silence detection and where I can get some
> documentation for it.

Note that there are two VADs in Speex. One is in vbr.c and was there in
1.0.x. The other one is new (1.1.x) and is in preprocess.c (and
separated from the codec itself). In both cases, there's no real
documentation outside of the code. Those VADs are a bunch of kludges put
together and that happen to (at least sometimes) work.

Jean-Marc Valin
http://www.xiph.org/~jm/
LABORIUS
Universit? de Sherbrooke, Qu?bec, Canada