[speex-dev] Notes on 1.1.4 Windows. Testing of SSE Intrinics Code and others

Aron Rosenberg aron at sightspeed.com
Thu Jan 22 01:10:30 PST 2004

Reading through the GCC manual seems to imply that using -msse allows the
intrinsics to be available for use. It does not make any other code use the
SSE registers or calls.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3.2/gcc/i386-and-x86-64-Options.html#i386%20and%20x86-64%20Options
(scroll down to the -msse section)

-mmmx -mno-mmx-msse -mno-sse -msse2 -mno-sse2 -m3dnow -mno-3dnow
These switches enable or disable the use of built-in functions that allow
direct access to the MMX, SSE and 3Dnow extensions of the instruction set.
See
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3.2/gcc/X86-Built-in-Functions.html#X86%20Built-in%20Functions>X86
Built-in Functions, for details of the functions enabled and disabled by
these switches.
To have SSE/SSE2 instructions generated automatically from floating-point
code, see -mfpmath=sse.

This would seem to be the proper flag assuming that the code or all
entry-ways into it is guarded by run-time flags.

Aron Rosenberg
SightSpeed