[speex-dev] status report on the Windows CE (PocketPC) ACM codec

Gervase Markham gerv at gerv.net
Wed Jan 7 11:42:28 PST 2004

Christian Buchner wrote:
> Now here is where I have problems and not yet found a solution:

I know very little about this, so take everything that follows with a
large pinch of salt.

> * the function names exported in the .lib created by gcc are not compatible
>   with the function name decorations that the VisualC++ embedded linker expects.

Which version of gcc are you using? I know that only recently has gcc
made itself compatible with the C++ name mangling standard, whatever
that is. I have no idea if MSVC++ is compatible with it.

> *Future conflicts might arise from the 2 different stdlib implementation.
>   The gcc code will use the open-source "newlib" while the Visual C++ compiled
>   code will rely on Microsoft's libc.

In general, you have to compile everything with the same compiler to get
it to link correctly.

> Is there a way to post-process a .lib file to alter its export symbols?

I believe it's not just a matter of symbol names, but also of calling
convention - so one lot of code will put arguments on the stack in a
different way to that expected by the other lot. This can't be fixed by
post-processing.

Maybe the gcc lists are a better place to ask.

Gerv