[speex-dev] Comparing Speex

Fri Feb 6 14:33:26 PST 2004

> How does Speex compere with other compression software like AMBE etc, in
> terms of quality versus file size or processing power needed, specialy
> in terms of the finished project even if something is not available at
> this moment ??

I honestly have no idea. I would expect a recent state of the art codec
to beat Speex in normal operations. Depending on the codec, however,
Speex may be able to win on extra features (e.g. variable bit-rate,
variable complexity, embedded bit-stream for narrow vs. wide).

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)