[speex-dev] Voip Jitter Buffer

Thu Apr 29 14:36:24 PDT 2004

> I'm working on a voip project with Speex and the only major design obstacle
> left (that I'm
> aware of) is the jitter buffer. Before I attempt to write something of my own
> I'd like to
> try out the jitter buffer functions in Speex's unstable release. Can anyone
> give me a
> basic run down of how the experimental jitter buffer is to be used? A little
> example code
> would be really great. Thanks.

I have no real code example, but here's how it should be used.
Call speex_jitter_init to initialize the structure. You need to pass it an
already initialized decoder as well as the sampling rate. Then, each time you
receive a packet, you call speex_jitter_put with the packet data, it's length
and the timestamp of the packet (in milliseconds).

In another thread (most likely), you'll want to play the audio, so you need to
call speex_jitter_get periodically (every 20ms) in order to get the audio. The
jitter buffer doesn't adapt to the latency yet (but eventually, it will).