[speex-dev] speex_encode / speex_encode_int ... already sorry =)

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sun Apr 25 09:21:11 PDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 01:32:53AM +1000, Kenji Chan wrote:

> I always think short is better over float, because most of the time we don't
> get float form data, from, e.g microphone / wav files

It really depends on your framework. Hardware generally uses integer
samples, but a number of newer software systems use float. On modern
host cpus it's just as fast and you don't have to write your filter code
for every combination of sample depth, signedness and endianness.

Speex was re-written to use ints/fixed point to efficiency on embedded
cpus with no fpu, of course, so it's better to use the _int versions if
you can.

 -r