[speex-dev] Another miscellaneous question about applicability

Mon Oct 6 01:06:51 PDT 2003

> > Not that I'm going to be doing this, but just out of curiosity, how well
> > would speex perform for singing?  I don't know if speex is specialized to
> > the human voice, or the normal low-stress human voice.  Does speex'
> > performance change when dealing with shouting, etc?  Have you ever tried
> > jazz scat, or anything like that, cat?
>
> Not that I have tried it, but my gut feeling (erm, "experience" sounds
> better, doesn't it?) tells me that female voices would sound fine, but
> male singing wouldn't.

Funny, my experience tells me the opposite (because the closer the
harmonics, the more they mask noise). I guess we'll definitely need to
experiment :)

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)