[speex-dev] More Speex (pre-processing) Options

Tom Grandgent tgrand at canvaslink.com
Wed Nov 26 14:50:03 PST 2003

These are my results with the Speex AGC and denoiser:

Over the past couple of months, I've spent probably 10-20 hours of
conversation with Speex (wideband) doing AGC + denoiser on both ends
of the call.  I think it does an excellent job of removing most noise
while keeping speech intact.  Yes, it's possible to make some constant
noise (like humming) and have that get removed, but I've *never* had
that be a problem in real conversation.

The only thing that's slightly annoying is that the person I usually
converse with has some fairly constant low-frequency noise, and this
noise is somewhat noticible while the person is talking.  If I try to
mask it out using an FFT-based high-pass filter before encoding with
Speex, I get some annoying and strange sounds during periods of
silence.  I'm guessing the AGC is picking up on some kind of residue
from my filtering process.

Finally, every now and then I hear some musical artifacting with
Speex's AGC + denoiser, but it's not very troublesome at all.

To conclude: I'm really happy with the AGC + denoiser.  Adjusting
the mic volume level is no longer necessary, and having the denoiser
automatically adapt to changing noise conditions is valuable.  If
echo cancellation worked, that would be the icing on the cake.

Tom