[speex-dev] XScale realtime encoding possible?

Fri Nov 7 09:05:05 PST 2003

> I don't know how to profile code (yet), but i'm about to go find out.
>
> Is it possible to profile the code on my x86 workstation, or does it
> absolutely have to be run on the machine?  ARM emulator anyone? :)

Not only you need the ARM machine, but I'm not even sure a regular
profiler will give you anything since I think it only profiles stuff
that runs in user space (though it's worth checking). It might be that
the only way to find is by playing with the code and see what changes.
Of course, that might take some time...

I suspect that what happens is that the CPU hits a float operation and
generates an illegal instructions which is trapped and (slowly) emulated
by the kernel. What I have no idea about is what part is responsible for
that much kernel stuff (i.e. every time I remove some float ops, it
almost doesn't have any effect).

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)