[speex-dev] XScale realtime encoding possible?

MAL mal at komcept.com
Thu Nov 6 07:29:05 PST 2003

Hi all,

I've got a 400MHz XScale-PXA255 board, and I want to stream voice from
it over a network connection at 28.8baud.  This calls for a capable
voice encoder which can encode at about 24kbps.  I was damn happy when I
found Speex and said goodbye to MP3 :)

However, i'm still a long way from realtime encoding using speexenc, is
this possible?

Using the fixed point math option in 1.1.1 (the XScale has no floating
point unit), and compiling with CFLAGS="-O3 -funroll-loops -ffast-math",
I get the following:

time speexenc -u --quality 0 --abr 28 --comp 1 test.wav test.spx
Warning: Speex is only optimized for 8, 16 and 32 kHz. It will still
work at 44100 Hz but your mileage may vary
Encoding 44100 Hz audio using ultra-wideband (sub-band CELP) mode (mono)

real    0m42.345s
user    0m7.660s
sys     0m34.690s

use 32KHz, 16bit, if that would make any impact on speed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
MAL