[speex-dev] Fixed point version.

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Fri May 16 12:15:22 PDT 2003

> I have read a few messages about a fixed point version and I have some
> questions.

Note that all this is hypothetical, because no one has written a
fixed-point yet.

> 1. Will just the decoder be available in a fixed point version.

It would probably start with a decoder because it's much simpler, but
the encoder could follow after.

> 2. If the encoder is available will it work on a 400 mhz XScale "Strongarm"

Probably. At least at lower complexity settings.

> 3. Will it work on a dsp? if so how fast of one will I need.

Once a fixed-point is written, it would have to be ported to the
specific DSP. It's much too early to say what the required speed would
be and it would on the application anyway (different modes require
different complexity).

> 4. Any chance of a FPGA version?

If you write it, yes ;)

> I really need to be able to encode in real time or very close to it in
> an embedded device.

Well, if you help it could probably happen faster :)

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)