[speex-dev] reommended settings for low bitrate voicecom codec ?

Allen Drennan adrennan at wiredred.com
Mon May 12 18:22:29 PDT 2003

Hello,

HawkVoice doesn't have a 6.3kbps codec for CELP, it has a 4.5kbps CELP codec
and I do not believe it is being used by TeamSpeak.  The 6.4kbps CELP being
used in TeamSpeak, to which you are referring I believe comes from Lernout &
Hauspie's LHACM.ACM file which it appears you are redistributing (I assume
TeamSpeak has a license and permission to do this).  The only people I
thought had this license was Microsoft for Netmeeting 3.

>From my experience, the Speex codec is much better than the 4.5kbps CELP
codec in HawkVoice, and on par with various L&H CELP codecs.  It is tricky
to implement though, and if you don't do it right - it won't sound correct.