[speex-dev] A couple of questions

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Sun Mar 2 15:44:46 PST 2003

> 1. Has this already been done by someone? If so, is it available?

I've had reports of people getting Speex to work on an iPaq, but under
floating point emulation, so no real-time encoding (some managed to
decode in real-time).

> 2. The two biggest issues I can tell at the moment are the
> restrictions the platform processor (ARM processor) imposes, namely:
> bad support for both floating point arithmetic and division.  To that
> end I will have to convert the codec to Integer arithmetic and replace
> all division operations.  Obviously I can go through the Speex source
> and do this, but in the sample encoder application (Speexenc) there
> are references to Vorbis Ogg data structures/functionality.  My
> question is, is Vorbis Ogg absolutely necessary for basic encoding of
> raw PCM WAV format data?

First, Ogg and Vorbis are two different things. Vorbis is a codec
completely independent from Speex. Ogg is the "packing format" used by
both Speex and Vorbis. However, Ogg (well libogg) is only necessary if
you want to encode or decode Speex files, not for things like VoIP. BTW,
the Ogg library is very small, portable and (AFAIK) doesn't use float
operations.

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)