[speex-dev] draft-herlein-speex-rtp-profile-01

Tom Grandgent tgrand at canvaslink.com
Tue Jul 1 16:55:10 PDT 2003

Hi,

I have a question about section 3.4 of the RTP payload draft:

> Speex codecs [11] are able to detect the the bitrate from the
> payload and are responsible for detecting the 20 msec boundaries
> between each frame.

This suggests that you can encode some frames with Speex, pass the
compressed bits to the decoder, and you'll get the output - without
having to do external bookkeeping for compressed frame size.  (I'm
thinking of VBR here where compressed frame size varies constantly.)

If this is true, how does one go about leaving this responsibility to
the codec?  It seems like I have to pass the size of the compressed
frame as the last parameter of speex_bits_read_from(), then call
speex_decode() to decode one frame at a time.  This is how the sample
code in the manual works, and the reference manual doesn't shed any
light on this.

So basically, if I'm given an RTP packet with several back-to-back
VBR-compressed Speex frames, how do I decode it?

Thanks,

Tom