[speex-dev] Intel libraries

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Tue Jul 1 09:27:45 PDT 2003

> Ultimately, it's Jean-Marc's call. Integrating the Intel IPP/MKL might
> be a side-project for someone else to do and offer. If done right, it
> can boil down to a set of compiler/linker directives (a la PGP/OpenSSL
> using RSAREF) so the only sticking point would be a legal/ethical one
> and not technological.

Here's my take on it. I don't believe that using the Intel library will
be any good for performance. The reason is that I can only think of ~5
places worth optimizing in Speex (i.e. the other places use an
insignificant amount of CPU). These are very specific functions that get
called often with rather small loop counts. For this use, the Intel
libraries will probably introduce as much overhead as they'll save in
computation time.

Because of that, I believe that it's possible to do a much better job by
using a bit of inline assembly. Note that two of these sections of code
have already been coded with SSE assembly.

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)