[speex-dev] Is there a version of Speex like Fraunhofer MP3 codec?

Ben x-files at qx.net
Thu Feb 27 11:33:15 PST 2003

John, Hi! I gave it a shot and am not sure of what exactly to do. I was
able to choose it as the external encoder ok and then used the default
settings, but when I gave it a try on the line-in sampling, Audiograbber
wanted to record the audio as a wav and THEN apply speex encoding (which
didn't work). That would probably be fine if I were using NTFS and could
write files bigger than 4GB, right? The thing is, the computer I want to
get this working on is an Old Pentium 166 with 32MB ram and 2GB harddrive
(FAT32).

I don't know how to program and am not sure really how to describe what I
am looking for. Other than if speex could be a windows selectable codec, it
would open up a ton of things I could do with it. For radio show recording
I would think having speex as a selectable codec in windows would help out
alot of people (or at least get alot more people interested). Anyone up to
the task of coding it to do this?;)  Please, please. :)

I was just thinking Speex could beat Fraunhofer MP3 for what I do. My
current MP3 settings are
16kbps, 11Khz, mono. A five hour recording is approximately 35MB. Speex
sounds like it would be a perfect application for this and achieve
smaller/better quality recordings. What do you think?

Ben