[speex-dev] Higher Bandwidth at lower quality settings

Trevor Yensen tyensen at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 27 06:43:31 PST 2003

Hi Jean-Marc,
        I thought at quality 3 (wideband) - wb_submode1 that the 4-8k band was not
using a codebook table.  From the code I can see that some sort of "lsp"
encoding is performed.  What exactly does this encode?  (I assume lsp means
line-spectral pairs)
        The reason I am asking is I'm comparing the "effective" spectral bandwidth
of Speex against the AMR-WB (G.722.2) codec.  (Available from 3GPP.org)
Speex performs very comparably to AMR-WB until the quality setting drops
below around quality 5.  At approximately equivalent bitrates AMR-WB
maintains the spectral bandwidth better, whereas Speex doesn't seeem to
match above 3.5kHz.  I was wondering if it would be possible to tweak Speex
to drop the narrowband quality at the expense of increasing the bandwidth?

Thanks,
Trevor