[speex-dev] Quality

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Tue Feb 25 16:23:45 PST 2003

> I was wondering if the developers were using anything to "objectively" test
> the quality of the speex vocoder.  For instance PSQM or one of the many
> derivatives.  Mean Opinion Scoring seems an expensive route.
>
> Is there some open source software to use for this?

Well, I haven't found and open-source perceptual testing software, so
I've relied so far mostly on listening and SNR/segmental SNR.

If anyone has access to this kind of software, I'm interested to
comparisons between different versions of Speex, mostly 0.4.0, 0.6.0,
0.7.0 and rc2. Even for those who only have their own ears, I'm
interested on comments about possible regressions, mostly for the 8 kbps
mode (--quality 4 setting or --lbr for version 0.4.0).

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)