[speex-dev] ACM codec

Brian Teague bteague at rice.edu
Fri Feb 14 07:56:34 PST 2003

X-Fixer wrote:
> Hi-
>
> is someone working on ACM codec at the moment?
> if not, I'll start writting it one of these days.
>
> -XF

documentation on the MS website stinks ... it basically says, "Look at
the example GSM 6.10 codec provided in the Microsoft Driver Development
Kit and replace the application-specific bits" ... but, while I own a
student edition of MS Dev Studio, I don't have an MSDN subscription.

(The DDK is actually free from Microsoft, but S&H is $15 ... you can
order it off the MS website.)

There are two big wins here, as far as I can tell.  First, this should
let you record sound in Microsoft Sound Recorder and save as Speex.  (I
think!  I think that app uses the ACM interface.)

Second, this would allow, with some registry tweaking, Microsoft
NetMeeting users to employ Speex.  This would be especially appreciated
by us OpenH323/GnomeMeeting users, because the MS GSM codec stinks.

One more thing.  Microsoft NetMeeting does not pay any attention to the
standard content-type specifiers that the H.323 standard employs.  If
you want it to interoperate with OpenH323, you'll have to modify that
code as well to specify the code points (application-specific
parameters) that get compiled in to the ACM library.  It shouldn't be
too difficult; the OpenH323 MS-GSM codec should provide an example of
that already.  If you can get the ACM codec working, I can probably do
the OpenH323 end of it.

I would *love* to be able to throw this at my NetMeeting friends and get
good NM <-> GnomeMeeting sound.

::sigh::  I think I've asked before ... but does anyone on this list
have the MS DDK?  Want to send me a copy of the GSM 6.10 codec example?
  Not that I'll have any time between now and the end of the semester
.. but it never hurts to ask...

Regards,
Brian

--
Brian Teague                PGP Key: 06B9AC63 on keyserver.net
Baker '04                   Fingerprint: 0C9A C8E2 7254 60F4 4342

Give me wisdom as my only lover
On the lonely road
Break your searing silence
And light my journey home        -- "Byzantium"