[speex-dev] SmartPhone ARM

Wed Dec 17 20:14:49 PST 2003

> The phone shows ARM720 no freq.
> I'm going to have to guess around 100 Mhz.

I think real-time should be possible on a 100 MHz. You'll probably have
to write some functions in assembly though. These are the ones I can
think of: inner_prod, filter_mem2, iir_mem2, fir_mem2 and vq_nbest.

> I ran the same code on an XSCALE ARM 400 mhz.  Toshiba e740.
> Runs about .33 -> .4x realtime. This is the using the generic fixed point
> defines.

I think I got better results than that with the arm-tuned code by making
heavy use of the multiply-add and wide (16 x 32) multiplies. If your
compiler doesn't support inline asm, you'll have to re-write entire
(small) functions. The good thing is that you might get even better
performance.

> I'll start looking at the compiler assembler output.

Well, for all macros that have 16_32 in them, the output will be
suboptimal... unless your compiler has some advanced AI in it :)

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)