[speex-dev] de-essing into speex?

Tue Dec 9 22:24:39 PST 2003

> i have done further testing, and even at constant bitrates, wma is far
> superior, from an "overall listening experience" point of view.

OK, one thing at a time, so will you please leave wma out of that for
now?

> it seems that:
>
>   speex maintains the crispness/treble of the recording, but with the
>   cost of computer-ish background noise, like turning into russian
>   radio stations on the am band, if you get my drift. ess sounds are
>   particularily fragile to this.

Have you tried to identify at what CBR quality the esses start sounding
bad?

> i tried to downsample my wav files from 44100 to 32000 to meet with
> spx optimizations, but this did not help the situation really.

Please try at 16 kHz instead. The 32000 Hz mode uses some tricks that
probably aren't optimally tuned yet. At least at 16 kHz, it'll be easier
to identify the problem.

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)