[speex-dev] To: speex-dev@xiph.org

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Fri Apr 11 13:39:46 PDT 2003

> My question is about the speex codec 1.0.  I would like to know the
> name of the algorithms that it uses.(LPC,CELP..). It uses more or less
> the same algorithm for narrowband and wideband?

Speex uses CELP in its simplest form (i.e. no fancy, patented codebook
search techniques). For wideband, a narrowband stream is encoded and
complemented with a CELP encoding of the high-band.

> Finally i would like to ask about future codec developement projects.

Well we just reached 1.0 and we're focusing mainly on fixing bugs,
tuning and various ports. No major new features planned in the short
term.

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)