[speex-dev] Problems with win32 port of Speex

Graham Fawcett fawcett at uwindsor.ca
Wed Nov 6 11:27:44 PST 2002

Hi folks,

I'm having trouble building the 'speexdec' executable in the win32 port of
Speex. I'm using MSVC++ 6.0 on both a Win2000 and a WinXP box (the error
occurs on both machines). The sources are fresh from CVS as of today.

I had no trouble building the ogg, vorbis and speex libraries. Also,
speexenc.exe built correctly. However, speexdec.exe will build but does not
create output (either to soundcard or to pcm/wav) and eventually crashes.

For example, calling "speexdec.exe \temp\1.spx" results in the following
sent to stderr:

"ded with Speex 0.8.0"

followed by about 27Kb of binary data, almost all of it 0x00. Then I get an
exit code of 0xc0000005, which appears to be an Access Violation.

I get similar results when redirecting to stdout or to a file (the file is
created but no data is written to it).

Note that I have the prebuilt binary of 'speexdec.exe' from your Web site;
it works as expected given the same input file and options. Only the version
I'm building is broken!

Sadly, I can't build a debug version of speexdec: the linker complains of a
number of unresolved symbols (__imp__waveOutReset at 4,  __imp__waveOutOpen at 24,
__imp__waveOutGetNumDevs at 0,  __imp__waveOutWrite at 12,
__imp__waveOutPrepareHeader at 12,  __imp__waveOutUnprepareHeader at 12,
__imp__waveOutClose at 4,).

I even tried cross-compiling it (i686-pc-linux-gnu x i386-mingw32) but ran
into similar symbols missing at link time.

I'm stumped! I would really appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Warmest regards,

-- Graham Fawcett
-- Centre for Flexible Learning
-- University of Windsor