[speex-dev] xmms plugin (was Re: linux.conf.au and streaming)

Bernard Blackham b-speex at blackham.com.au
Wed Dec 18 10:17:15 PST 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 06:25:39PM +0100, Jens Burkal wrote:
> Have you tried to compile it with debug? (make debug).
> What does it say in the terminal? (I assume you can get the file with
> wget)

Okay, I figured out that one - the default Buffer Size is 0, so it
hangs in http_buffer_loop waiting for some buffer space it'll never
get...  Adding some buffer solves that :) (Or changing the default
buffer size).

Next issue is that it stops before the end of the stream - I suspect
when it completes streaming/downloading, and not playing.

> > The workaround is to get the speex plugin before the mpg123 plugin
> > in the chain, by giving it a name that comes before "MPEG..." - I've
> > used " Speex..." (leading space).
>
> Or:
> 1. Disable the mpg123 plugin! I rarely have the need to play mp3
>    anymore :)
> 2. Get xmms from cvs. Edit xmms/Input/mpg123/mpg123.c. Add '.spx' to the
>    exclude list at around line 395-400. Recompile the MPEG plugin.

Thought of these, but I want to be able to distribute this to people
and not have to ask them to disable their mp3 plugin or recompile
xmms. I'd like to dispel rumours that *nix isn't user friendly :)

--
 Bernard Blackham -- bernard at blackham dot com dot au
 <shameless plug follows/>