[speex-dev] Speex wishlist

Trevor Yensen tyensen at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 13 08:09:36 PST 2002

Jean-Marc,
        I was wondering if you could add a check to ensure that memory is actually
allocated during the nb_encoder_init and sb_encoder_init functions.  We have
been looking at using Speex on a DSP and noticed that if we didn't allocate
a large enough heap space memory segment that the DSP would crash.  I would
recommend something like:
if (!st->stack) fprintf(stderr,"ERROR could not allocate memory for stack");

        Also, is it necessary to allocate 20000 floats for stack space.  Have you
ever profiled the amount of stack space consumed?  We tried a few values for
the stack size and checked for stability.  This isn't the most rigorous
check...  However, we did reduce the stack size down to 5000 in both nb and
sb_encoder_init functions and we were able to successfully encode at quality
6, wideband, complexity 3.  On a DSP memory can be scarce, so we may need to
cut this down some more if possible.

Thanks,
Trevor Yensen
AvalonDSP Consulting Inc