[speex-dev] Speex wishlist

Bernard Blackham b-speex at blackham.com.au
Fri Dec 13 02:22:54 PST 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:21:17AM -0500, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> Speex is getting close to beta4, which I'd like to be feature-complete
> (or as close as possible). That's why I'd like to ask if anyone here has
> needs for a feature that hasn't been implemented yet. If so, please let
> me know.

Hi Jean,

I've one small request -  an option on speexenc that allows you to
specify a speex file to append to, allowing you to concatenate
streams without losing quality by decoding & encoding. Ideally, it
would:

        * Read the sampling rate, etc, from the file and use those.
        * Toggle the end of stream marker on the last frame of the file
        * Continue appending new frames from thereon.

And probably ignore/conflict with settings which would change the
whole file (eg, comments, change in input format (unless an
Ogg/speex stream can have different audio formats in the same
file?), narrow/wideband, etc).

This idea only just sprung to mind when you offered - I'm currently
using a program derived from speexenc/speexdec to simply join two or
more speex files together - but I'll happily write up a patch
against CVS in the next 2 or 3 days and send it to you, if you or
others think this useful (and not just excess bloat).

Kind regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham