[Paranoia] Audio data varies from drive to drive?

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Feb 12 08:56:35 PST 2010

> Is there a way to know the exact offset added by each drive, and
> compensate for it while ripping? Comparing files only yields a relative
> offset between each drive. I tried running cdparanoia --analyze-drive
> but didn't see a clear indication of what the offset measured is, or if
> indeed it was measured at all.

There are some drives that have a constant known offset (and EAC knows
about many of these).  Most drives however will add a different offset
each run and it's not predictable, the reason cdparanoia does not try
to implement the feature.  My design philosophy has generally been not
to offer features that I know will not work on most hardware, which is
also why error flags haven't been supported but probably will in the
future.

Monty