[Paranoia] Audio data varies from drive to drive?

Laurent Charrière lcharriere at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 23:16:04 PST 2010

Paolo Saggese wrote:
> are you sure that the differences you see are not just in the "silence"
> at the beginning (and/or at the end) of the track and/or a "byte‐shift"
> between the files?
>
> try comparing the wav files using "shncmp -s":

I'm ashamed to report that indeed the difference in audio data was only
caused by differences in silence at the beginning and at the end of the
track. I.e., the tracks have the same number of bytes but there is a
variable number of 0x00 bytes at the beginning depending on the drive.
This is compensated by a variable number of 0x00 bytes at the end of the
track.

snhcmp reports this as "extra samples" which is a little misleading
since the number of samples is the same for each track (the WAV header
is identical, and the byte length is the same). In any event the number
of "extra samples" seems to always be the same for a same drive, on 3
discs I tried.

I apologize for the false alarm.

Is there a way to know the exact offset added by each drive, and
compensate for it while ripping? Comparing files only yields a relative
offset between each drive. I tried running cdparanoia --analyze-drive
but didn't see a clear indication of what the offset measured is, or if
indeed it was measured at all.