[Paranoia] cdparanoia and cache

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Mar 21 10:14:38 PDT 2007

On 3/21/07, Tim [TMO] <tmo at anize.org> wrote:
> Harry Sack wrote:

> I corresponded with Wolf, who made that posting.  He informed me that
> the change in read ahead values did not serve as a fix for the caching
> problems with newer drives.  After more experimentation with his patch
> he apparently found that the caching was still an issue.
>
> > I was wondering if the cache problem in cdparanoia is already fixed
> > (because I also have a plextor premium cdrom drive) and in what
> > version of cdparanoia?
>
> To my knowledge, no.  This is a long standing wish list item.  I've been
> hunting for at least a year.  My work around was to buy a couple of
> cheap plextor SCSI drives via ebay and implement them for ripping/burning.

cdparanoia was written at a time before ATAPI cdrom drives exposed any
explicit cache control; it simply didn't exist in the ATA spec.  Since
then, the commands that had always existed for SCSI were added, but
it's only been very recently that Linux has made it availabe (by
moving to a 'uniform' SG_IO interface).

If you have a drive that is showing consisten cache issues with
cdparanoia, I'd be happy to sieze the opportunity to test adding ATAPI
cache control.

Monty