[Paranoia] Force-Read-Speed -- Does It Work?

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Tue Mar 28 12:50:15 PST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 14:28, Monty wrote:

> On Fr, Mär 24, 2006 at 06:15:35 -0500, Alex wrote:
>> I don't seem to be able to make cdparanoia force the read speed. The
>> value I use for -S seems to have no effect whatever. I'd like to force
>> the rip to go no faster than single speed, but whether I specify 1 or
>> 48, the ripping goes at the same speed (the drive is 52x, and I also
>> tried 4, 8, 16).
>
> Are other rippers/utilities able to set the speed on this drive (eg,
> is there windows software that can do it?)

I'm using it on a Mac. I have four drives (2 LiteOns, a Pioneer, and a
Plextor). None of them react to the -S command. On Win, PlexTools can
set the CD read speed (but, of course, it only works with Plextor
drives). I'm not aware of any Mac tools which can do that. But -- I
apologize in advance for a silly question -- doesn't the drive work at
1x when playing an audio CD?

> I'd be interested in trying to reverse engineer a commandset that
> works.

As far as the Plextor drive goes, see

<http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/Plextor/index.php>

thanx