[Paranoia] Force-Read-Speed -- Does It Work?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Mar 28 11:28:05 PST 2006

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:51:01AM +0100, Sebastian wrote:
> On Fr, Mär 24, 2006 at 06:15:35 -0500, Alex wrote:
> > I don't seem to be able to make cdparanoia force the read speed. The
> > value I use for -S seems to have no effect whatever. I'd like to force
> > the rip to go no faster than single speed, but whether I specify 1 or
> > 48, the ripping goes at the same speed (the drive is 52x, and I also
> > tried 4, 8, 16).

Are other rippers/utilities able to set the speed on this drive (eg,
is there windows software that can do it?)

In the bad old days, there was no documented way to set the speed on
an ATAPI (IDE) CDROM drive.  Every manufacturer invented their own
commands.

Since about 2000, the MMC spec for CDROM drives has specified a speed
set command which is optional.  Drives are not required to implement
it, or may accept the command but ignore it (the smile/nod/ignore
option).

So, it's possible you can't influence the speed of the drive at all.
If other software can do it, though, and CDParanoia doesn't know the
necessary (non-standard) command (-S uses the standard command only),
I'd be interested in trying to reverse engineer a commandset that
works.

Monty