[Paranoia] Re: CD Ripping Uncertainty Again

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Fri Mar 24 15:16:01 PST 2006

Digging a little further, I found elsewhere quite a few reports of the
same issue of cdparanoia producing bad rips from scratched CDs without
reporting problems.

Some argue that the issue is caused by drives caching audio data, and
that cdparanoia is reliable when the drive isn't caching audio data.
Unfortunately, I can't test this; the cache on the Plextor drive can be
disabled with PlexTools, but that only works in Windows, and I don't
know how to disable the cache under Mac OS X.

One possibility might be simply to extract the same track several
times, and verify if there are any differences. But it seems rather
laborious. Maybe rubyripper

<http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyripper/>

which automates this process is more convenient, but I couldn't get it
to work.

So it seems that EAC on Windows is really the only secure ripping
solution. Too bad...

thanx