[Paranoia] Freshly damaged drive w/ cdparanoia?

Kevin Rennert kevin at rennert.net
Sun Mar 27 18:18:47 PST 2005

Just to chip in my $.02, I had also had a drive die under the same
circumstances several years ago when I was ripping my entire collection.
A 48x creative reader was having difficulty with a particular track, and
I just let it run. Came back the next day and the drive wasn't
responding at all. Rebooted and it behaved similarly to how your drive
is behaving, if I remember right. Totally useless as a reader from then
on.  I just chalked it up to another crappy product made by creative (or
at least branded by creative) and that having it read and re-read the
same chunk of CD over and over just wore it out.  I haven't had this
happen with any of the other readers or burners I've used, despite using
cdparanoia extensively with them.

My guess is that, for the 30 or 40 bucks that a replacement drive costs,
you've already invested too much of your own precious time in figuring
out the problem.  See if you can get a warranty replacement and move on
-- I doubt it was anything out of the ordinary that cdparanoia made it
do that caused it to pooch, it just couldn't stand up to the repetitive
motion.

-kevin