[Paranoia] copy protection

J. Scott Edwards sedwards at xmission.com
Thu Mar 3 06:35:52 PST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Aaron Birenboim wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 15:14, Peter Jones wrote:
>> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 09:18 -0700, Aaron Birenboim wrote:
>>> I have some disks which I cannot rip.
>>> This is a new experience for me.
>>>

>> What CDs?  And how do they fail to rip?  What does cdparanoia say?
>
> fairly typical music CD's.
> (Details sent in private response)

I'm curious why you can't say what CD's there are?  I haven't followed the
copy protected CD thing for a while, but last time I looked there were web
pages that listed CD's that were suspected to be copy protected.  This was
a few years ago so I don't know if they still exist.

I bought the "Fast and Furious" soundtrack a few years ago specifically
because it was copy protected.  It even had a sticker on the case stating
it wouldn't play in computers or something to that effect.  I experimented
with playing it and ripping it with several different machines with
diffferent OS's.  The results were different on each machine.  I don't
remember the details as it was several years ago.  It seemed like the
machine with Mandrake Linux/cdparanoia was able to rip it with no problem.
All the others did different weird things.  It seems like one could rip
the first 10 songs, but not the last few.

> They have pops and some repeats (like a skipping CD)
> on the rip.
> paranoia reports V's and !'s.

I have had pristine discs, completely at random, do this on a certain
machine.  Yet I could take that same disc on a different machine and
cdparanoia would read it just fine.  I would say perhaps 1 in 200 discs
have done this to me.

>>> xmms seems to be able to play them.

Doesn't xmms play CD's through the analog cable from the drive?  I don't
think it reads the digital data to play a CD.

-Scott