[Paranoia] Creating an audio cd

Alec Wood alecwood at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 16 15:04:30 PDT 2005

Thus spake CJ Kucera:

> That said, there's definitely a few things out there which can
> approximate an 'image.'  The one you'd probably have the most luck with
> on Linux is using cdrdao, which will take a TOC file which describes
> the CD.  It's just a text file which says "this .wav file beings at
> this point on the CD" for each of your files, etc...  There's also
> a way to have it specify just one wav file and specify where the track
> markers will go.  I'm not aware of any Linux programs which will
> generate a TOC file for you; most of the places where I've seen it
> mentioned tell you to just make one by hand (nor have I looked for one).
> The syntax isn't hard.  Best-case scenario for this will leave you
> with one large wav file and the TOC file itself.

cdrdao ships with a utility, called wav2dao.pl, which will make a TOC
file from a list of WAV files.  Why this functionality isn't considered
a core function of cdrdao I don't know, but in any event it works
nicely.

My advice would be to rip tracks to separate files using cdparanoia, use
wav2dao.pl to make a TOC file, use cdrdao to populate that TOC file with
CD-TEXT information, and then burn it with cdrdao.  This is what I do,
and I've been very happy with the arrangement.  This concept of ".iso"
disc images doesn't really apply to red-book audio, as others have
pointed out, and the "one file per track" system is much more flexible.

Cheers,
Alec