[Paranoia] Creating an audio cd

CJ Kucera xiph at apocalyptech.com
Thu Jun 16 14:16:18 PDT 2005

Monty wrote:
> Cedric Fontaine wrote:
> > No I don't find a way to just create an image of an audio cd from wav
> > files...
>
> That's because there's really no such thing.  An audio CD is not a
> flat stream of information.  There's nothing comparable to an .iso for
> redbook audio.

Well, there is and there isn't...

When you burn an ISO to a disc what you're doing is writing one track
onto the disc, which happens to be an ISO image.  The ISO itself isn't
even really an "image" of the disc so much as just the data that's
on that one track.  That's how you can have audio CDs with one data
track at the end; the ISO is just one of the tracks.

That said, there's definitely a few things out there which can
approximate an 'image.'  The one you'd probably have the most luck with
on Linux is using cdrdao, which will take a TOC file which describes
the CD.  It's just a text file which says "this .wav file beings at
this point on the CD" for each of your files, etc...  There's also
a way to have it specify just one wav file and specify where the track
markers will go.  I'm not aware of any Linux programs which will
generate a TOC file for you; most of the places where I've seen it
mentioned tell you to just make one by hand (nor have I looked for one).
The syntax isn't hard.  Best-case scenario for this will leave you
with one large wav file and the TOC file itself.

Another option could be bin/cue, which I've got relatively little
experience with.  I believe it's sort of the same idea, where the .bin
file is a bunch of data, and the .cue file is an index which says
where the track markers go.  I'm unaware of any Linux program which
can create a bin/cue pair for you (again, nor have I looked for one),
though I've used this guy to extract a bin/cue into something that
cdrecord is more comfortable with:
  http://freshmeat.net/projects/bchunk/

I'm sure there's others out there too, though what Linux support there
is I'm not sure.

Personally I'd recommend that you just keep the wav files in a
directory and call that your "image."  Burn 'em DAO with cdrecord and
you'll never know the difference.

-CJ

--
WOW: Kakistocracy         |   "Happiness isn't good enough for me!  I
xiph at apocalyptech.com     |              demand euphoria!"