[Paranoia] copy protection

Aaron Birenboim eunichs at boim.com
Thu Jan 20 07:27:50 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 09:43, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Aaron Birenboim wrote:
>
> > I have some disks which I cannot rip.
> > This is a new experience for me.
> >
> > xmms seems to be able to play them.
>
> Clearly you would rather use paranoia, but there are other tools, cdda2wav
> uses the (old) paranoia library,

OH MY!   cdda2wav actually seems to work on these disks (so far!!!!)
WOW!

At least I don't seem to be fighting some mysterious new
copy-protection scheme (the disks my friend cannot rip,
but can play on Windows, were purchased last month)...
we are now talking about some problem with the
new cdparanoia... or my system.

Since this is a frankenstein system build out of parts
from various old computers...  i repeat....
was there not some command to get some sort of vendor ID
codes from the IDE chips and/or disk devices?
You know... those strings the kernel or BIOS reports
when booting up?  That might be of interest...

         aaron