[Paranoia] copy protection

Aaron Birenboim eunichs at boim.com
Thu Jan 20 07:18:35 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 08:52, Peter Jones wrote:
> > They have pops and some repeats (like a skipping CD)
> > on the rip.
> > paranoia reports V's and !'s.
>
> OK, I'm pretty sure this isn't a copy protection problem.

While running I get a lot of :-P and 8-|.
The CD-ROM drive yields all zeros, and + in the results.

Running from
http://people.redhat.com/pjones/cdparanoia/cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8.tar.gz

The DVD drive runs VERY slowly (on a clean new disk, purchased last
month).  It is ripping about 5 seconds of music every minute.
-v does not seem to be producing anything I can see.  Just the usual.
Results are +V> so far, I might have had V and ! from old version.
Music has some ~1 second repeats, and a mysterious 9 seconds of silence
before starting.

(Perhaps CD-ROM does the same, I just didn't wait long enough to get
some music.)

Commands were:

cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8/cdparanoia -B -vd /dev/hdc
cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8/cdparanoia -B -v -d /dev/hdb

> > I have ripped other CD's from this drive.
>
> That's a bit puzzling; I wouldn't have expected it'd vary by the CD.  I
> guess it could be an under-run problem, so that'd have results like
> this...

I tried another disk with similar results, but got some ! status.
So...  I retract my previous claims.
I have ripped on this machine before...  but something seems to have
changed.
Perhaps an ancient cdparanoia worked
(maybe apt-get upgrade messed it up)

Was I running 2.4 kernel earlier... perhaps.  I don't recall.

Nothing seems to rip...  XMMS can play the CD fine.
Might a reboot help?

I am very puzzled.
I know that I sucessfully used ripperX on this system,
which was set to use cdparanoia.  But that was then, and this is now.

Might something be hosed since I did not install?
(I ran from the build directory)

Any thing else I can try?