[Paranoia] Problems with ATI IXP200 chipset

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Mon Jan 3 06:56:14 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 15:54 +0100, Casper Pedersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running FC3 on a ATI IXP200 motherboard (Asus P4R800-vm), and more
> or less everytime I try to use cdparanoia my computer freezes.
>
> I've found something in the archives about problems with curtain
> chipset's (IDE controlers), does any one know if "IDE interface: ATI
> Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4349" this is one of them?
>
> I'm using cdparanoia-alpha9.8-24 which is part of FC3.

If I had to guess, that means it's using a DMA mode which the drivers
don't support correctly for that chip.  Have a whack at it with hdparm
and see if changing the settings helps?

Alternately, can you give us any kind of log to show us what's happening
just before the freeze?  cdparanoia's output would be good, as would
syslog/dmesg

--
        Peter