[Paranoia] Understanding the output from --stderr-progress

Jonathan Morace jmorace at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 23:46:43 PST 2005

I've been playing with the --stderr-progress cdparanoia flag to try to
determine how reliable the rip was with a wrapper program.  I think I
understand some of what it's reporting, but I'm wondering if someone
can help confirm my assumptions and fill in some gaps.

- jitter: After reading around a bit, from what I understand these are
the result of addressing errors from the drive.  My understanding is
that cdparanoia will completely correct these errors and they should
never result in problems with the rip, is this correct?

- correction: I'm assuming this occurs when there are differences
between the "read" and "verify" pass.  Are errors of this type usually
the result of scratches and damaged cds?  Is it possible that
corrections are still inaccurate reads from the cd?  How does
cdparanoia determine that the ripped data is "correct"?

- skip: Unreadable data that cannot be corrected.  The resulting rip
will contain interpolations over the missing data.

- drift and overlap: These are the two I really don't understand.  Can
someone explain what these indicate?  Are they correctable errors or
are they going to result in a bad rip?  Is this caused by cd damage or
a drive that is misbehaving?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Jonathan