[Paranoia] CD drive stuttering problem

Chris chris at tech.com.au
Wed Sep 8 06:01:49 PDT 2004

Peter Jones wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 18:59 +1000, Chris wrote:
>

>>I reported the problem a while back that some of my CDs ripping would
>>slow to a crawl half way through (like a week to rip one CD) and the
>>resulting qualtity was bad.  I'm noticing that the current version of
>>RealPlayer ripper works fine with these CDs, so I've had to abandon
>>paranoia.
>>

>That's interesting -- one person tested pretty heavily and found this to
>be bug which occurs only when using the cooked-ioctl kernel interface
>while your drive isn't set up to use DMA.
>
>His report is here:
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109389595920785&w=2
>
>Is that the same thing you were seeing?

Well I didn't get all zeros like this person did. I got an actual audio
track whose quality deteriated to awful at the point where the ripping
slowed down to a crawl.

However when I add the -N1 -Z flags as per that article, the problem
doesn't seem to occur. The rip process doesn't slow to a crawl but
breezes through very fast.