[Paranoia] CD drive stuttering problem

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 7 06:16:02 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 18:59 +1000, Chris wrote:

> I reported the problem a while back that some of my CDs ripping would
> slow to a crawl half way through (like a week to rip one CD) and the
> resulting qualtity was bad.  I'm noticing that the current version of
> RealPlayer ripper works fine with these CDs, so I've had to abandon
> paranoia.

That's interesting -- one person tested pretty heavily and found this to
be bug which occurs only when using the cooked-ioctl kernel interface
while your drive isn't set up to use DMA.

His report is here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109389595920785&w=2

Is that the same thing you were seeing?
--
        Peter

In these matters the only certainty is that there is nothing certain.
                -- Pliny the Elder