[paranoia] cdrom appears confused

Jack Pistachio jackpistachio at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 15:24:42 PDT 2004

Check the mailing list archives for lost interrupt
problems.
I had the same difficulty a while ago.  The problem was
with certain VIA chipsets (via KT333 come to mind).  The
archives will let you know exactly which southbridges have
the issue.  The issue was also drive-specific.  If you have
a different IDE controller, I suggest trying the drive on
that (like a Promise controller), or a different CDROM.
-jackp

> I receive strange error messages when running
> cdparanoia.  In the console it happens every few days.
>  When using grip I can never finish a complete CD.
> I'm using Debian with kernal 2.2.20.  I'm using what
> debian calls cdparanoia version 3a9.8-6.  I have hda1
> mounted at /, hdb is a second hard drive and the cdrom
> is /dev/hdd.
> Here are the errors for /var/log/messages:
>
> hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hdd ATAPI reset complete
> hdd status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete DataRequest }
> end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 0
> hdd: drive not ready for command
> hdd: lost interrupt
> hdd: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused
> (ireason = 0x 1)
>

> At this point the last two lines repeat every few
> seconds and I have to reboot.
>
> Any ideas as to why cdparanoia is doing this?
>
> Kevin Nowaczyk
>

> =====
> Manage your PEZ collection online.  Visit PezBase at
> http://www.beakerboy.com:8081

> containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.  No
> subject is needed.
> Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be
ignored/filtered.