[paranoia] cdrom appears confused

Kevin Nowaczyk beakerboy99 at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 10:22:24 PDT 2004

I receive strange error messages when running
cdparanoia.  In the console it happens every few days.
 When using grip I can never finish a complete CD.
I'm using Debian with kernal 2.2.20.  I'm using what
debian calls cdparanoia version 3a9.8-6.  I have hda1
mounted at /, hdb is a second hard drive and the cdrom
is /dev/hdd.
Here are the errors for /var/log/messages:

hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdd ATAPI reset complete
hdd status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady
SeekComplete DataRequest }
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 0
hdd: drive not ready for command
hdd: lost interrupt
hdd: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused
(ireason = 0x 1)

seconds and I have to reboot.

Any ideas as to why cdparanoia is doing this?

Kevin Nowaczyk

Manage your PEZ collection online.  Visit PezBase at http://www.beakerboy.com:8081